The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 12 maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 1 – 7 February 2021.
- 01-FEB-21 – Robbery – A MV was robbed in Tema anchorage, Ghana.
- 01-FEB-21 – Attack – A jack up rig reported being attacked in the Bay of Campeche, Gulf of Mexico. Gunshots were heard from underneath the rig, believed to be at least two perpetrators. There were no reported injuries or damage.
- 02-FEB-21 – Attack – Undisclosed details of an attack against a platform rig in the Bay of Campeche, Gulf of Mexico. It is known the rig was attacked and that no crew were harmed.
- 02-FEB-21 – Suspicious Approach – A MV was approached by ten skiffs approximately 50 nm SW of Aden, Yemen
- 03-FEB-21 – Robbery – A locked dinghy in Hillsborough, Carriacou, Grenada had petrol stolen from the outboard engine.
- 03-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – MDAT-GOG has received reports that there is an increased and imminent threat of piracy activity in the Gulf of Guinea, specifically in Areas E and D.
- 04-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – The curfew in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone) has been extended until Feb 14.
- 04-FEB-21 – Boarding – The owner of a yacht anchored near the Fort Louis marina heard some noises and found his dingy was half-lowered from its davits, and a man immediately jumped overboard and swam to shore.
- 04-FEB-21 – Suspicious Approach – The MSC PANAYA reported a suspicious approach by one speedboat with 6/7 men onboard approximately 27 NM SE of Brass, Nigeria.
- 05-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The UN-affiliated International Organization for Migration (IOM) said that more than 800 unauthorized migrants had been intercepted at sea and returned to Libya in 24 hours.
- 06-FEB-21 – Boarding – The MV SEA PHANTOM was boarded approximately 113 nm SW of the Port of Kribi in Cameroon.
- 07-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A rescue ship carrying 422 migrants docked in the Sicilian port of Augusta. The migrants had been rescued in separate operations in the Mediterranean off the coast of Libya on Thursday and Friday.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non-commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as a ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
We provide a wide range of Maritime Security and Intelligence services. For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.