Weekly Maritime Summary 14 – 20 December 2020
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 10 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 14 – 20 December 2020.
- 14-DEC-20 – General Security Warning – Pakistan Navy will be conducting Live Fire exercises throughout December at the following location – paknavy.gov.pk/hydro
- 14-DEC-20 – Robbery – A berthed bulk carrier VANTAGE RIDER was boarded in Lubuk Gaung port, Dumai, Indonesia. The duty officer onboard was taken hostage and tied up by four robbers armed who stole ship’s stores and spare parts.
- 15-DEC-20 – Kidnapping – An underway general cargo ship was boarded approximately 45NM SSW of Brass, Nigeria. Eight pirates armed with assault rifles, robbed ships stores and crew property while also kidnapping five crew members before escaping.
- 15-DEC-20 – Boarding – The NEW RANGER was boarded whilst underway approximately 160nm SW of Brass, Nigeria the Gulf of Guinea. This is the third time in December 2020 that the vessel has been boarded by unknown persons.
- 16-DEC-20 – Kidnapping – The Cameroonian flagged M/V STEVIA during transit from Port Harcourt to Abidjan was boarded 28 NM SW of Brass, Nigeria. Reporting indicates that the vessel was boarded, resulting in the kidnap of 8 crew.
- 17-DEC-20 – General Security Warning – MDAT-GOG received information of a possible HIGH-RISK maritime incident in the coming hours and days in the following areas: F/E/D.
- 18-DEC-20 – General Security Warning – A general security warning was issued that a Pirate Action Group is likely to be active in the areas E and D between 18-DEC-20 C and 19-DEC-20
- 18-DEC-20 – Approach – An unnamed MV reported being approached by a wooden boat, 180nm SW of Brass, Nigeria. A ladder was sighted, and the master carried out evasive manoeuvres.
- 19-DEC-20 – Boarding – An unnamed MV has been boarded by an unknown number of attackers in position 85 NM S of Brass, Nigeria.
- 20-DEC-20 – General Security Warning – Pakistan Navy will be conducting Live Fire exercises on 21 and 22 within 24-48.40N 066-57.37E – paknavy.gov.pk/hydro
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non-commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.|
|Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.