Weekly Maritime Summary 16 – 22 December 2019
The Securewest Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded six maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 16-22 Dec 2019.
- On 17 Dec 19 – Migrant and Refugee – 69 migrants were picked up from five boats off the coast of Kent, United Kingdom.
- On 17 Dec 19 – Boarding – An MV was boarded by an unarmed individual at Pointe Noire anchorage, Republic of the Congo.
- On 17 Dec 19 – Robbery – Local fishing vessels were robbed by armed men approximately 15 nm WSW off Brass, Nigeria.
- On 19 Dec 19 – Mothership – Report of a mother vessel towing a speedboat off the coast of northern Somalia.
- On 21 Dec 19 – Attack – Two MV’s were approached and attacked by a small craft with six men on board near Owendo anchorage, Gabon.
- On 22 Dec 19 – General Security Warning – Libyan National Army seize a Grenada-flagged vessel off the coast of Derna, Libya.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Mothership: A vessel captured by pirates predominately to be used to commit acts of piracy against other ships. Pirates remain on board and are in full control of vessel and crew.|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
|General Security Warning:Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.