The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 17 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 17 – 24 May 2022.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 16-MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – UK Border Force reported that they had intercepted over 600 migrants.
- 17-May-22: Boarding – The anchored container ship CNC LION was boarded by an unknown number of unauthorized persons in Jakarta Anchorage, Indonesia.
- 17-MAY-22: Approach – an MV reported being approached approximately 35nm South of Aden in the Gulf of Aden.
- 17-MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – The Dover Lifeboat intercepted and rescued 120 migrants who made the crossing from France to the UK.
- 18-MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 104 migrants were rescued by the Spainsh Coastguard East of Gran Canaria.
- 18-May-22: Maritime Information Advisory – Iranian revolutionary guards seized a vessel smuggling fuel in the Persian Gulf
- 19-MAY-22: Boarding – Anchored bulk carrier CS CANDY was boarded in Georgetown Anchorage, Guyana.
- 19-MAY-22: Boarding – A sailing vessel was fired upon and boarded in the Red Sea
- 19-MAY-22: Attack – An MV was attacked 34nm SW of Hodeidah in the Red Sea.
- 20-MAY-22: Robbery – Underway bulk carrier SELENA was boarded 15NM E of Mapur Island, Indonesia.
- 21-MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – Three migrants were found dead and another 10 went missing after their boat capsized off the coast of Tunisia.
- 21-MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – Italian Coast Guard rescues more than 420 migrants.
- 22-MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 30 migrants were intercepted whilst attempting cross the English Channel
- 22-MAY-22: Drugs Interdiction: 68kilos of cocaine were discovered on a cargo vessel moored at Nassau Container Port, Bahamas
- 22- MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – Greek Coast Guard rescues 21 migrants.
- 22-MAY-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – Six migrants landed ashore at Golden Beach in Florida, USA
- 23-MAY-22: Robbery – An anchored MV was robbed at Takoradi Anchorage Ghana.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Approach: Any event that is suspicious enough to warrant consideration and includes actions by a suspicious vessel closing on a steady bearing, having a very close CPA, and/or pirate paraphernalia/weapons clearly seen on display as a show of force.|
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories.|
|Attack: It is clear that weapons have been discharged against the vessel or a clear attempt to board the vessel has been made by the attacking vessel (s).|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|