The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded eight maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 18 – 24 January 2021.
- On 18-JAN-21 – Robbery – An anchored MV was robbed in Banana anchorage, DRC. A duty crew member noticed three intruders in the forecastle stores. On hearing the alarm, the robbers made good their escape.
- On 21-JAN-21 – Suspicious Approach – An MV reported a suspicious approach of a small craft whilst 59nm S of Bonny, Nigeria. The small craft came within 0.3nm of the MV and reduced speed but then withdrew.
- On 22-JAN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Libya’s coastguard has intercepted more than 80 Europe-bound migrants in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of the North African country.
- On 23-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – It was reported that firing practice will be carried out on the 26th and 27th JAN 21 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Ships and crafts are advised to stay clear of the area. Link
- On 23-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – It was reported that Anti-Aircraft guns firing practice with live ammunition will be carried out on the 26th and 27th JAN 21 in Gwadar, Pakistan. Ships and crafts are advised to stay clear of the area. Link
- On 23-JAN-21 – Kidnapping – An MV reported being boarded 204nm SW of Brass, Nigeria. It has now been reported that one crew member has been killed and 15 crew members have been abducted.
- On 24-JAN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The IOM said coastal security in Libya’s western town of Zuwara rescued 10 migrants and brought them to shore.
- On 24-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – It was reported that a Live Firing Exercise will take place between 24th to 30th January 2021. Ships and crafts are to keep well clear of assigned danger area on the above specific schedule. Link
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non-commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.|
We provide a wide range of Maritime Security and Intelligence services. For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.