Weekly Maritime Summary 18 – 24 October 2022
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 17 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 18 – 24 October 2022.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 18-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – 10 migrant landings in 24 hours in South Florida.
- 19-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – More than 800 migrants intercepted in one night by the Tunisian National Guard.
- 19-OCT-22 – Drugs Interdiction – Drug smugglers evade arrest in the Cayman Islands.
- 19-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Twelve Cuban Migrants come ashore on Cayman Brac, Cayman Islands.
- 19-OCT-22 – General Security Warning – Turkish forces defuse drifting mine in the Black Sea.
- 19-OCT-22 – General Security Warning – North Korea fires artillery shells into waters off its west coast.
- 19-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – 80 Cuban migrants in custody after coming ashore in Marquesas Keys.
- 20-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – 24 Cuban migrants caught after landing in South Florida.
- 21-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Rescue operation for sailboat carrying 80 migrants off Greece.
- 21-OCT-22 – General Security Warning – Attempted drone attack on Dabba oil port in Yemen.
- 21-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Italian Coast Guard finds bodies of two minors on migrant boat off Malta.
- 22-OCT-22 – Robbery – Catamaran robbed in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
- 22-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Turkey rescues over 50 migrants allegedly pushed back by Greece.
- 23-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – 39 migrants rescued in the Mediterranean.
- 23-OCT-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – 45 Migrants rescued in the Mediterranean by German search and rescue vessel.
- 23-OCT-22 – General Security Warning – Warning shots exchanged between South and North Korean forces in the West Sea.
- 23-OCT-22 – Boarding – Underway bulk carrier boarded in the Singapore Strait.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.