The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 10 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 19 – 25 Oct 2021.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 19-OCT-21: Approach – An underway MV was approached approximately 11nm SW of Dhubab, Yemen.
- 19-OCT-21: General Security Warning – MDAT GoG Watchkeepers issued advisory 001/OCT/21 reporting that a suspicious tug had been sighted approximately 245 NM SE of Takoradi, Ghana.
- 19-OCT-21: Drugs Interdiction – Senegalese authorities seized two tonnes of cocaine from a vessel off the Atlantic Coast.
- 19-OCT-21: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 34 migrants were intercepted and disembarked from the private rescue yacht Nadir at the Port of Lampedusa, Italy.
- 20-OCT-21: Boarding – Underway cargo ship SUPER STAR was boarded 14nm SW of Tandjunguban Port, Indonesia
- 23-OCT-21: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 39 migrants were intercepted in the English Channel.
- 24-OCT-21: Boarding – Underway bulk carrier MAGIC NOVA was boarded approximately 3nm N of Batam Island, Indonesia.
- 25-OCT-21: General Security Warning – MDAT GoG Watchkeepers issued warning 001/OCT/21 that the threat of piracy remains high in the following updated areas: 05°00’N – 005°00’E, 05°00’N – 007°30’E, 02°30’N – 007°30’E, 02°30’N – 005°00’E
- 25-OCT-21: Boarding – Container ship MSC LUCIA boarded approximately 150nm NW of Sao Tome and Principe, Gulf of Guinea.
- 25-OCT-21: Boarding – A vessel was reported to have been boarded approximately 85nm SE of Malabo in the Gulf of Guinea.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Approach: Any event that is suspicious enough to warrant consideration and includes actions by a suspicious vessel closing on a steady bearing, having a very close CPA, and/or pirate paraphernalia/weapons clearly seen on display as a show of force.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|
We provide a wide range of Maritime Security and Intelligence services. For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.