The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 16 maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 22 February – 01 March 2021.
- On 22-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – It was reported 50 migrants crossed the English Channel successfully.
- On 23-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The UK Home Office reported that a total of 103 migrants in six boats have been intercepted attempting to cross the English Channel.
- On 24-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Four small boats with 49 people on board have been intercepted as they crossed the English Channel, the Home Office has confirmed.
- On 24-FEB-21 – Drugs Interdiction – The cargo vessel NEHIR was intercepted and boarded by Spanish Civil Guard and Police Teams approximately 120nm N of Cabo Penas, Spain. Officials recovered 3000 kilos of cocaine and arrested 9 crew.
- On 24-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Four pregnant women were among 20 migrants whose bodies were found off Tunisia’s coast after their smuggling boat sank.
- On 24-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – At least 41 people drowned when their boat capsized in the Central Mediterranean.
- On 24-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – UKMTO issued notice 015/FEB/2021 concerning live firing exercises in the middle of the Persian Gulf between Bahrain and Siraf, Iran. Link
- On 25-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – Reporting indicates that the RO/RO Vehicle Carrier MV HELIOS RAY suffered an explosion during its voyage in the Gulf of Oman. All crew reported safe.
- On 25-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – MDAT-GOG has received reports that there is an increased and imminent threat of piracy activity in the Gulf of Guinea, specifically in Zones E and F (east) deep offshore.
- On 26-FEB-21 – Robbery – A MV was robbed of ships equipment Luanda Anchorage, Gulf of Guinea off Angola. The thieves went unnoticed, crew were reported as being safe.
- On 27-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – French authorities reported intercepting a total of 51 migrants attempting to cross the English Channel, during two incidents.
- On 28-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – Naval ships will carry out surface, anti-aircraft and depth charge live firing practice between 29-31 Mar 2021 in following areas Link
- On 28-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – Firing practice with live ammunition by air defence units will be carried out from 01 to 07 MAR 2021 in the following areas Link
- On 28-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Border Force caught 87 people, including children, coming ashore at Dover.
- On 28-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A boat containing 110 migrants started sinking in the early hours on Sunday off the Libyan coast. 95 were rescued but 15 Africans drowned.
- On 28-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A commercial ship rescued 35 Europe-bound migrants off Libya’s Mediterranean coast and returned them to the capital, Tripoli.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non-commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually large amounts of drugs seized|
We provide a wide range of Maritime Security and Intelligence services. For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.