The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 17 maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 23 – 29 March 2021.
- 23-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – Marine traffic was blocked along the Suez Canal after a Panama-flagged large container ship ‘Ever Given’ got stuck in the canal on 23 March. On 29-MAR-21, the EVER GIVEN was re-floated and transits restarted.
- 23-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The UK Border Force reported that they intercepted 183 migrants in six boats. French authorities reported stopping around a further 50 people.
- 23-MAR-21 – Robbery – An owner returned to their dinghy in St Anne Dock, Martinique to discover the fuel tank, fuel line and air pump had been stolen.
- 24-MAR-21 – Robbery – A locked dinghy was stolen from a dinghy dock in Woburn, Clarke’s Court Bay, Grenada.
- 24-MAR-21 – Robbery – A jack up rig approximately 15 NM North of Paraiso, Mexico, was robbed of ships equipment. Crew are safe and local authorities were notified.
- 24-MAR-21 – Robbery – A Panga (small fishing boat) was stolen from El Caribeo/Cristobol, Bocas del Toro, Panama. The next day it was recovered locally, but it’s 40HP Yamaha engine, had been stolen.
- 24-MAR-21 – Attack – Channel 12 reported that an Israeli flagged container vessel was damaged in an Iranian missile attack while sailing through the Arabian sea towards India. The vessel is reported to have continued to Mundra, with no casualties reported.
- 25-MAR-21 – Boarding – The AFRICAN QUEEN was boarded whilst underway in the eastbound lane of the TSS in the Singapore Strait. Five perpetrators were sighted in the engine room. Nothing was stolen and the crew were reported safe.
- 25-MAR-21 – Robbery – During the early hours, an anchored and occupied yacht was robbed near Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada. The dinghy in the water alongside, had its 3HP outboard stolen.
- 25-MAR-21 – Robbery – An unlocked dinghy’s engine was stolen whilst alongside an occupied yacht that was anchored off Hog Island.
- 25-MAR-21 – Robbery – During the early hours, an anchored yacht was robbed near Hog Island, Grenada. The thieves then located and stole an unlocked engine at the stern.
- 25-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The UK Border Force reported intercepting 77 migrants with at least one boat reaching the shore at Dungeness in Kent. The same day French authorities reported stopping 79 migrants.
- 27-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – 310 migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean Sea were intercepted at night and returned to Libya.
- 28-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – 173 migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean Sea were intercepted and returned to Libya.
- 28-MAR-21 – Boarding – An anchored MV was boarded by two persons while in Monrovia Anchorage, Liberia. The perpetrators subsequently escaped in a small wooden boat.
- 28-MAR-21 – Robbery – Reportedly a MV was robbed in Luanda Anchorage, off Angola. No details have been supplied other than unidentified persons were on board.
- 28-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – The Saudi led coalition reported destroying two explosive-laden drone boats launched by Yemen’s Houthi force from the Port of Hodeidah in the Red Sea. Further details have not been specified or released.
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as a ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.