The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 12 maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 25 – 31 January 2021.
- On 25-JAN-21 – Boarding – The underway bulk carrier ARK ROYAL was boarded approximately 24 NM, E of Singapore. Five perpetrators were sighted in the engine room. Nothing was reported stolen.
- On 26-JAN-21 – Robbery – A locked dinghy was stolen from Simpson Bay Lagoon, Saint Martin.
- On 26-JAN-21 – Robbery – An anchored yacht was boarded and robbed while in Witch’s Tit Lagoon, Saint Martin.
- On 26-JAN-21 – Suspicious Approach – The underway bulk carrier SEAFRONTIER was suspiciously approached approximately 272 NM S of Lagos, Nigeria. The vessel and crew are reported safe.
- On 28-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – MDAT – GoG issued a notice that responsibility of security coverage at Lagos Anchorage, NIGERIA, has been passed to the Nigerian Maritime & Safety Agency (NIMASA). On 29-JAN-21 MDAT-GoG released a further notice, advising that the Port of Lagos no longer has robust security patrols in the secure anchorage area (SAA).
- On 28-JAN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – French authorities picked up 78 migrants attempting to cross the English Channel in four boats.
- On 28-JAN-21 – Boarding – The underway bulk carrier ELVIA was boarded approximately 15 nm NE of the port of Batam, Indonesia. Ten intruders were sighted in the engine room. No items were stolen.
- On 29-JAN-21– Migrant and Refugee – 17 migrants in two boats crossed the English Channel.
- On 29-JAN-21 – Boarding – While underway the general cargo VANTAGE WAVE was boarded approximately 17 nm NE of port of Batam, Indonesia. Three intruders armed with knives were noticed in the engine room. No items were stolen.
- On 30-JAN-21 – Boarding – An MV has been boarded approximately 192 NM SE of Accra, Ghana in the Gulf of Guinea. Crew mustered in the citadel. On 31-JAN-21 at 20:05, the Nigerian Navy supported the vessel which is now clear of pirates. All crew and vessel safe.
- On 31-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – It was announced that firing practice with live ammunition will be carried out on 02-03 Feb 21 from 08:00-13:00 UTC in area bounded by following coordinates: Link
- On 31-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – It was announced that Naval ships will carry out Surface, Anti-Aircraft and Depth Charge LIVE FIRING PRACTICE between 0400 and 1700 UTC from 01-04, 08-12, 15-19 and 22-26 and Feb 2021 in the following areas: Link
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non-commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
We provide a wide range of Maritime Security and Intelligence services. For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.