Weekly Maritime Summary 25-31 May 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 13 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 25 – 31 May 2021. The following incidents were recorded:
- 26-MAY-21 – Boarding – A berthed MV at Onne port was boarded by one individual. The intruder fled and was later arrested by a Nigerian patrol boat.
- 26-MAY-21 – Robbery – While being towed by the tug MV VENTURE a dead ship DAWN 1 was boarded and robbed in the Arabian Sea off the coast of Diu, India
- 27-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Almost 500 migrants were returned to Libya by the coast guard. Earlier the same day, another boat carrying 187 people was also intercepted.
- 28-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The Tunisian Defence Ministry reported that they intercepted 104 migrants from off the coast of Sfax, Tunisia.
- 28-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The Tunisian Defence Ministry reported that they intercepted 158 migrants from Tunisia and sub-Saharan African countries.
- 28-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – UK authorities recover 336 Migrants from 19 boats attempting to cross the English Channel.
- 29-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – UK authorities recover 144 Migrants from seven boats attempting to cross the English Channel.
- 29-MAY-21 – General Security Warning – Local reports indicated that Saudi-led coalition forces intercepted and destroyed two water born improvised explosive devices (WBIED).
- 30-MAY-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was advised a Naval exercise would take place with live fire from 01-04, 07-11, 14-18, 21-25 and 28-30 June 2021 in the following areas: Link
- 30-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – UK authorities recover 17 Migrants from a boat attempting to cross the English Channel.
- 31-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – UK authorities recover 71 Migrants from three boats attempting to cross the English Channel.
- 31-MAY-21 – Kidnapping – A vessel was boarded approximately 108NM South of Cotonou, Benin by potentially eight pirates. They stole property from crew before kidnapping five crew members.
- 31-MAY-21 – General Security Warning – It has been reported that there is an increased threat of piracy in the following areas: 05°00’N – 002°30’E 05°00’N – 005°00’E 02°30’N – 005°00’E 02°30’N – 002°30’E. Vessels are encouraged to avoid these areas.
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.