Weekly Maritime Summary 27 April – 3 May 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 17 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 27 April – 03 May 2021. The following incidents were recorded:
- 27-APR-21 – General Security Warning – Saudi officials announced that they intercepted an explosive-laden boat in the Red Sea off the coast of Yanbu.
- 27-APR-21 – General Security Warning – It has been reported by MDAT-GOG that the threat of piracy has increased in the immediate future in the area defined by the following points: 05°00’N – 005°00’E 05°00’N – 010°00’E 02°00’N – 010°00’E 02°00’N – 005°00’E.
- 27-APR-21 – Drugs Interdiction – The Royal Saint Lucia Police reported seizing 1.965 Tons of cannabis from a transport container in the North of Saint Lucia.
- 27-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Unaccompanied minors were among 125 children rescued off the Libyan coast.
- 28-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was reported that Naval ships will carry out missiles, gunnery, depth charge and torpedo firing with live ammunition from 28 April to 02 May in the areas below: Link
- 29-APR-21 – Boarding – A MV was boarded whilst at anchor in, Luanda anchorage, Angola.
- 29-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Up to 130 asylum seekers are feared to have drowned after their flimsy rubber dinghy capsized in the Mediterranean off the coast of Libya on Thursday.
- 29-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was reported that Naval ships will carry out surface, anti-aircraft and depth charge live firing practice from 03-07, 10-12, 17-21, 24-28 and 31st May 2021 in the following areas: Link
- 30-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was reported that firing practice with live ammunition will be carried out on 04 and 05 May 2021 in an area bounded by the following coordinates: Link
- 30-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Two groups of migrants have been witnessed crossing the English Channel.
- 30-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Reporting states more than 200 migrants crossed the English Channel in small boats.
- 01-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Spain’s maritime rescue service says it has rescued some 600 migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea from Morocco.
- 01-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – 236 people rescued in the Mediterranean from traffickers’ boats, while Italian coast guard and border police brought 532 others to a tiny island.
- 02-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported that whilst 12 migrants were rescued by the Libyan coastguard, at least 11 drowned off the coast near the western town of Zawiya in Libya.
- 02-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Almost 200 migrants were intercepted by Border Force officials as they crossed the English Channel.
- 02-MAY-21 – Robbery – A MV was robbed whilst alongside in Monrovia, Liberia.
- 03-MAY-21 – Approach – A MT was suspiciously approached by two skiffs approximately 57 NM WNW of Al Hudaydah, Yemen.
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Approach: An incident where weapons are trained on the vessel or pirate paraphernalia such as weapons, ladders, are observed and the intention to conduct an attack is clear.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.