Weekly Maritime Summary 3 – 9 February 2020
The Securewest Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded seven maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 03 – 09 Feb 2020.
- 05-FEB-20 – Approach – A suspicious craft kept following an unnamed vessel despite making numerous course alterations whilst through the Gulf of Guinea
- 05-FEB-20 – Drugs Interdiction – Ivory Coast naval forces seized 411 kilograms of cocaine destined for the capital Abidjan
- 06-FEB-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – More than 70 suspected migrants have been intercepted in the English Channel and brought ashore at Dover
- 07-FEB-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – More than 100 migrants have been intercepted in the English Channel – the highest number recorded in one day
- 07-FEB-20 – Robbery – The anchored tug boat ASL AMBER was robbed approximately 50nm SSE of Chittagong port, Bangladesh
- 09-FEB-20 – Robbery – The underway tanker SWARNA JAYANTI was robbed approximately 15nm ESE of Singapore port
- 09-FEB-20 – Boarding – Underway bulk carrier NEW SPIRIT was boarded approximately 20nm ESE of Singapore port
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large amount of drugs are seized.|
|Approach: An incident where weapons are trained on the vessel or pirate paraphernalia such as weapons, ladders, are observed and the intention to conduct an attack is clear.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.