The Securewest Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded ten maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 4 – 11 May 2020:
- 04-MAY-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – The container ship MARINA rescued 78 migrants in the Mediterranean Sea
- 05-MAY-20 – Robbery – The anchored bulk carrier STAR GLORY was robbed in Muara Berau Anchorage, Indonesia
- 07-MAY-20 – General Security Warning – Reported sightings of suspicious activity relating to three boats on the Eastern Somalia coast
- 08-MAY-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – 150 migrants were picked up from 10 boats in the English Channel
- 09-MAY-20 – Suspicious Approach – The underway tanker YUAN QIU HU was subject to a suspicious approach approximately 63nm W of Douala, Cameroon
- 09-MAY-20 – Kidnapping – The cargo vessel RIO MITONG was reported to have been boarded offshore Malabo, Equatorial Guinea. The attackers are reported to have kidnapped one Ukrainian and one Russian crew member
- 09-MAY-20 – Kidnapping – A MV was boarded in Luba Anchorage, Equatorial Guinea. Two Russian crew members were reported kidnapped
- 09-MAY-20 – Robbery – The Bulk Carrier VEGA AQUARIUS was boarded approximately 3nm N of Palau Nongsa, Indonesia. The robbers escaped with stolen property whilst a search was underway
- 09-MAY-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – 70 migrants aboard five vessels have been intercepted by authorities the English Channel
- 10-May-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – A boat carrying 17 migrants has been intercepted by the Border Force off the Kent coast
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.