The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 11 maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 6 – 12 April 2021.
- 06-APR-21 – General Security Warning – The Iranian flagged general cargo vessel SAVIZ reported an onboard explosion as the ship operated in the Red Sea near Eritrea.
- 06-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was announced that a Naval Gunnery Exercise would be held on 06th April 2021 in an area defined as follows: link
- 07-APR-21 – General Security Warning – Two small craft exceeding speeds of over 70 knots, with a third larger craft doing 20 knots were sighted approximately 141 NM S of Salalah, Oman.
- 07-APR-21 – Boarding – The bulk carrier TRINA OLDENDORFF was boarded by four personnel armed with knives at the Eastern entrance to the Singapore Strait. They then proceeded to hit the motorman on the head before escaping. Nothing was reported stolen.
- 07-APR-21 – Boarding – The product tanker HARRISBURG was boarded whilst underway at the Eastern entrance to the Singapore Strait. The master raised the alarm and the two perpetrators escaped empty handed.
- 09-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A boat carrying five migrants arrived on UK shores today after 44 people made the dangerous journey across the Channel yesterday.
- 10-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was reported that an ongoing sea curfew in Sabah state’s Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone) was extended to 15 April.
- 11-APR-21 – Robbery – The bulk carrier PANTAZIS L was boarded whilst underway 24nm E of Singapore Port by four persons who were sighted in the engine room. It was found that engine spares had been stolen.
- 11-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – According to the Spanish Red Cross, at least four people were discovered deceased on a migrant boat off the coast of El Hierro.
- 12-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was reported that firing practice with live ammunition will be carried out between 14th to 16th April 2021: link
- 12-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – At least 34 people drowned when a boat carrying migrants from Yemen capsized off the coast of Djibouti.
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories.|