The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 9 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 6 – 13 Sept 2021.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 08-SEP-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – UKMTO released notice 003/SEP/2021 detailing an air defence firing exercise off Pakistan Link.
- 08-SEP-21 – Robbery – Fishermen robbed in the Bay of Bengal.
- 08-SEP-21 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Approximately 150 migrants crossed the English Channel.
- 09-SEP-21 – Drugs Interdiction – Nigerian authorities intercept 451,807 amphetamine pills.
- 10-SEP-21 – Drugs Interdiction – 150kg of heroin seized off Sri Lanka.
- 11-SEP-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – UKMTO released notice 004/SEP/2021 detailing a military live firing exercise off Pakistan Link.
- 11-SEP-21 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – French officials rescued 126 migrants attempting to cross the English Channel.
- 12-SEP-21 – Drugs Interdiction – £160m of cocaine off the coast of Plymouth, UK.
- 13-SEP-21 – Stowaways – Nine stowaways discovered in Rotterdam.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|
|Approach: Any event that is suspicious enough to warrant consideration and includes actions by a suspicious vessel closing on a steady bearing, having a very close CPA, and/or pirate paraphernalia/weapons clearly seen on display as a show of force.|