The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 13 maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 9 – 15 March 2021.
- 09-MAR-21 – Robbery – A yacht in Tank Bay, English Harbour was boarded overnight while the owners slept, and items were stolen.
- 09-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – At least 39 migrants drowned off Tunisia when two boats capsized on Tuesday. Rescuers pulled 165 survivors from the floundering boats out of the sea to safety.
- 09-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – French authorities reported intercepting two boats carrying 61 migrants during separate incidents. One boat contained 33 people, five women and 10 children.
- 10-MAR-21 – Robbery – A MV was robbed whilst in Luanda Anchorage, Angola. The vessel and crew reported as safe.
- 11-MAR-21 – Boarding – Maersk Venturer, was boarded by four people whilst in Takoradi anchorage, Ghana. The crew noticed the unknown persons and alerted the bridge, who informed the local port authority.
- 11-MAR-21 – Kidnapping – A MT was boarded by circa nine armed unknown persons approximately 221 nm S of Porto Novo, Benin. It was reported that 15 of the 25 crew members have been kidnapped. Kidnappers have left the vessel, which is now under escort.
- 11-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – It was reported that firing practice with live ammunition by air defence units will be carried out from 05 – 30 March 2021 at 25 11 00 N, 066 45 00 E: Link
- 11-MAR-21 – Drug Interdiction – Over 200 kilograms of cocaine have been seized by Australian authorities in the Sydney port area.
- 11-MAR-21 – Robbery – The anchored bulk carrier NORDIC SEOUL was robbed in Callao anchorage, Peru. Two intruders with knives were seen by the duty crew. The intruders then made good their escape with stolen ships stores.
- 12-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – It was confirmed that live firing practice will be carried out from the 14th-18th March in these areas: 21-06.00N 038-58.50E 21-05.58N 039-07.00E 21-13.40N 038-58.50E 21-13.50N 039-06.20E: Link
- 14-MAR-21 – Boarding – A MT was boarded by perpetrators who have now left the vessel at approximately 208 NM SSW of Lagos, Nigeria. Crew remain safe, vessel is now under escort.
- 14-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – At least four people, including two young children, died when a boat carrying at least 19 migrants capsized off France while trying to cross the English Channel to Britain.
- 15-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – Notice released by MDAT-GOG detailing extreme caution and vigilance in the Gulf of Guinea, particularly area E (Nigeria).
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually large amounts of drugs seized.|
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.