Weekly Maritime Summary 11 – 17 January 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded eight maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 11 – 17 January 2021.
- On 11-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – Pakistan naval units carrying out live firing practice
- On 11-JAN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – 50 migrants were rescued by the Tunisian navy off the coast of Tunisia
- On 12-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – Mariners are advised of a large scale Iranian Naval exercise taking place in the Gulf of Oman
- On 13-JAN-21 – Suspicious Approach – A MV has reported a suspicious approach by at least one small craft 119 nm SW of Brass, Nigeria
- On 13-JAN-21 – Suspicious Approach – A Liberian Bulk carrier was approached by two skiffs approximately 53 nm SW of Aden, Yemen
- On 14-JAN-21 – Approach – A MV was approached by a speed boat with four-armed people onboard carrying a ladder and a barrel, approximately 53 nm SW of Aden, Yemen.
- On 14-JAN-21 – General Security Warning – Naval ships will carry out Surface, Anti-Aircraft and Depth Charge LIVE FIRING PRACTICE 14-15, 18-22 and 25-29 Jan 2021 in the following areas: Link
- On 14-JAN-21 – Suspicious Approach – A MT reported a suspicious approach by a small craft to within 100 metres, 145nm SW of Bonny, Nigeria.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non-commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Approach: An incident where weapons are trained on the vessel or pirate paraphernalia such as weapons, ladders, are observed and the intention to conduct an attack is clear.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.