Weekly Maritime Summary 11-17 May 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 10 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 11 – 17 May 2021. The following incidents were recorded:
- 11-MAY-21 – Robbery – A dinghy was stolen overnight from an anchored yacht near Carenaro, in Bocas del Toro, Panama.
- 11-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – 33 migrants were rescued off the French coast as they were trying to reach England.
- 12-MAY-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – The U.S. Department of Transportation MARAD released MSCI Alert 2021-005A relating to a Ransomware attack affecting critical infrastructure in the U.S.
- 12-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – 17 migrants are believed to have drowned in the Mediterranean. Their ship, which is thought to have departed from Libya, got into difficulty off the Tunisian coast.
- 14-MAY-21 – General Security Warning – The U.S. Department of Transportation MARAD released MSCI Alert 2021-006A relating to the Eastern Mediterranean – Threat to commercial vessels in the vicinity of Israeli ports of Ashdod and Ashkelon.
- 14-MAY-21 – Robbery – The jack up rig TABASCO was approached by two small boats containing approximately 20 armed pirates off the coast of Tabasco, Gulf of Mexico. They fired their weapons to intimidate crew, then proceeded to steal equipment and workers personal items before escaping.
- 15-MAY-21 – Robbery – Two dinghies with engines and an additional engine from a third dinghy were stolen in Roatan, West End, Honduras.
- 16-MAY-21 – Migrant and Refugee – More than 300 suspected asylum seekers have been intercepted in their attempts to cross the Channel.
- 17-MAY-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – The U.S. Department of Transportation MARAD revised its advisory and released MSCI Advisory 2021-005 regarding the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea, and Indian Ocean – Violence due to Regional Conflict and Piracy.
- 17-MAY-21 – Drugs Interdiction – Australian police seized nearly A$100m ($77.5m) of methamphetamine on a cargo ship arriving at Sydney from Thailand.
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.