Weekly Maritime Summary 12 – 18 October 2020
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded eight maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 12 – 18 October 2020.
- 12-OCT-20 – General Security Warning – The Bangladesh coastguard detained five alleged Mayanmarese robbers and rescued seven kidnapped fishermen during a raid in the Bay of Bengal.
- 13-OCT-20 – Boarding – An underway chemical tanker was boarded by intruders in the eastbound lane of the traffic separation scheme in the Singapore Strait.
- 14-OCT-20 – Robbery – At 00:40 UTC, A bulk carrier was boarded and robbed in position 01 17 04 N, 104 20 00 E, approximately 5.9 NM N of Tanjung Pergam, Indonesia.
- 15-OCT-20 – Approach – At 04:36, an anchored tanker was approached in position 09 16 15 N, 013 46 51 W, Conakry anchorage, Guinea.
- 17-OCT-20 – Boarding – At 20:03 UTC, an MV was boarded whilst in position 04 08 58 N, 001 24 00 E, 116nm S of Lome, Togo.
- 17-OCT-20 – Kidnapping – At 05:30 UTC, a LNG tanker was boarded whilst in position 03 46 57 N, 008 41 52 E in Punta Europa Anchorage, Malabo, Equatorial Guinea.
- 17-OCT-20 – Boarding – At 06:30 UTC, a container vessel was boarded by unknown persons in position 12 03 39 S, 77 11 24 W at Callao Anchorage, Peru.
- 18-OCT-20 – General Security Warning – It was reported that Iranian military forces will be conducting a military exercise with live firings. This will occur between 0430 UTC on the 14-OCT-20 and 1330 UTC on the 21-OCT-20 in the area: a. 2657N 05628E b. 2645N 05624E c. 2645N 05635E d. 2635N 05648E e. 2615N 05648E f. 2615N 05706E All vessels in the vicinity are to stay vigilant.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.
|Approach: An incident where weapons are trained on the vessel or pirate paraphernalia such as weapons, ladders, are observed and the intention to conduct an attack is clear.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.