The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 9 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 13 – 19 December 2022.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 13-DEC-22 – Kidnapping – Two crew members kidnapped off Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea.
- 14-DEC-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Four dead and 43 migrants recovered after boat capsizes in the English Channel.
- 14-DEC-22 – Robbery – Underway bulk carrier robbed in the Singapore Strait.
- 16-DEC-22 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – French authorities rescue over 160 migrants in the English Channel.
- 16-DEC-22 – Drugs Interdiction – Sri Lankan Navy seizes 200kg of illegal drugs.
- 17-DEC-22 – Robbery – Dinghy and outboard motor stolen in Portobello, Panama.
- 18-DEC-22 – General Security Warning – North Korean ballistic missiles land in the East Sea off Japan.
- 18-DEC-22 – Robbery – Moored catamaran robbed in Saint Lucia.
- 19-DEC-22 – Robbery – Armed robbers board anchored vehicle carrier in Callao, Peru.
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|