Weekly Maritime Summary 15-21 June 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 12 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 15 – 21 June 2021. The following incidents were recorded:
- 15-JUN-21 – Robbery – A dinghy with engine was stolen overnight in Tyrrel Bay, Grenada.
- 16-JUN-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – UKMTO released a notice relating to live firing practice – Link
- 16-JUN-21 – Drugs Interdiction – Turkish Customs reported seizing 1,000 packets of cocaine weighing one ton from a containership after it arrived in the port of Mersin, Turkey.
- 16-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The rescue ship Geo Barents is searching for a safe harbour in which to disembark the 410 migrants it rescued in the central Mediterranean Sea.
- 17-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Seventy-one migrants were intercepted on several boats in the English Channel.
- 17-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Eighty people have crossed the Channel in three boats as migrants continue to try to reach the UK.
- 18-JUN-21 – Robbery – A moored dinghy was stolen overnight in Tyrell Bay, Grenada.
- 19-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Ten women died in a sinking boat packed with migrants off the coast of Libya and hundreds of other people were rescued in two separate operations.
- 20-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A rescue ship has saved 250 migrants in danger of capsizing near the Libyan coast.
- 20-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – More than 100 Europe-bound migrants are feared dead in a boat wreck off Libya.
- 20-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Spain’s coast guard rescued 45 migrants off the coast of Gran Canaria on Sunday.
- 21-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Six men and two woman who were migrants from Cuba arrived in a small fishing vessel at Duck Key, an Island in Florida Keys, USA.
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.