Weekly Maritime Summary 17 – 23 Aug 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 8 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 17 – 23 Aug 2021.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 18-AUG-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A migrant boat that was adrift for nearly two weeks was intercepted as it was heading for Spain’s Canary Islands. Seven survivors were found on board.
- 18-AUG-21 – Robbery – Seven robbers armed with knives boarded an anchored bulk carrier whilst in West Callao Anchorage, Peru and stole ships stores.
- 19-AUG-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A migrant vessel with a sole female survivor was intercepted off the Canary Islands
- 20-AUG-21 – Robbery – An underway bulk carrier NEFELI was boarded by four perpetrators armed with knives approximately 3.2nm North of Nongsa Point, Batam Island, Indonesia who stole spare engine parts.
- 21-AUG-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Reportedly between 600-800 migrants arrived in the UK, with various landings along the Southeast coastline.
- 21-AUG-21 – Robbery – An underway bulk carrier GOOD LUCK 1 was boarded by four perpetrators armed with knives approximately 3nm SE of Tanjung Bulat, Johor, Malaysia and stole engine parts.
- 22-AUG-21 – Robbery – A yacht at anchor in Linton Bay, Panama, had its locked dinghy stolen.
- 23-AUG-21 – General Security Warning – ReCAAP (Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia) issued an ‘Incident Alert’ specifically for Manila Anchorage. Link
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.