The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded five maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 17 – 23 August 2020.
- 17-AUG-20 – General Security Warning – Reporting suggests that Emirati Coast Guard vessels shot at a number of Iranian fishing vessels, reports also suggest that the UAE detained an Iranian fishing vessel during the incident.
- 19-AUG-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – At least 45 migrants and refugees, including five children, have died in the deadliest shipwreck off Libya this year
- 21-AUG-20 – Robbery – Reporting suggests that on 19-AUG-20, that a tanker, anchored 5nm off the coast of Somalia had been boarded by persons unknown.
- 21-AUG-20 – Attack – A Chinese flagged fishing vessel was attacked approximately 8nm SE of Freetown in Sierra Leone.
- 22-AUG-20 – General Security Warning – US Maritime Advisory released due to regional tensions and increased naval activities in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea south-east of Rhodes and west of Cyprus. See Link – MSCI Advisory 2020-015
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as a ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|