The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 10 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 18-24 Jan 2022.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 18-JAN-22: General Security Warning – MDAT-GoG released a notice of an increased threat alert for piracy in the Gulf of Guinea
- 19-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee – The Turkish coast guard says that it has rescued about 120 migrants in several operations in the Aegean Sea.
- 20-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee – 200 migrants rescued from the central Mediterranean Sea.
- 20-JAN-22: Suspicious Approach – A chemical tanker was subject to a suspicious approach 52 nm SW of Aden, Yemen.
- 21-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee – The Italian Coastguard rescued 305 migrants from the Mediterranean Sea 20 miles of the coast of Lampedusa, Italy.
- 23-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee – the UK Coastguard rescued 100 migrants in the English Chanel who were attempting to cross from France.
- 23-JAN-22: Robbery – Crew boat Surfer 3602 was robbed while at anchor in Luanda anchorage, Angola
- 24-JAN-22: Drugs Interdiction – HMS MONTROSE seized drugs worth £15 million in the Gulf of Oman
- 24-JAN-22: General Security Warning – MDAT GoG Watchkeepers issued ADVISORY NOTICE 001/JAN/2022 advising of irregular activity in MMCC Zone F.
- 24-JAN-22: Robbery (Attempted) – An anchored yacht was subject to a suspected attempted robbery in Sint Maarten, Simpson Bay, Caribbean.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|