Weekly Maritime Summary 20 – 26 April 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 12 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 20 – 26 April 2021. The following incidents were recorded:
- 20-APR-21 – General Security Warning – MDAT-GOG reports the threat of piracy has escalated in area ZONE E in the Gulf of Guinea. To see the mentioned area, please use the link – Link
- 20-APR-21 – Suspicious Approach – An MV was approached by a suspicious boat whilst approximately 203 NM S of Lagos, Nigeria.
- 20-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A total of 113 migrants on seven small boats arrived safely in the UK port of Dover on Monday. About 72 were stopped from crossing by the French authorities.
- 21-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – Authorities reported the sighting of a small boat 170 NM S of Lagos, Nigeria. The boat with eight persons onboard is suspected of being engaged in piracy activities.
- 22-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – UKMTO Notice 008/APR/2021 advises that a firing practise will take place approximately 41 NM S of Jeddah, Red Sea. Link
- 22-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – A shipwreck off the Libyan coast has reportedly claimed the lives of 130 people.
- 23-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Six small boats with 132 people crossed the English Channel on Tuesday, the Home Office has said. French authorities prevented 57 people on six boats from making the crossing.
- 23-APR-21 – Attack – The container ship CONTSHIP NEW was reported to be under attack 137 NM NW of Sao Tome and Principe. Incident is over, vessel and crew reported to be safe.
- 24-APR-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – Reports state that three crew members were killed on board the Iranian oil tanker WISDOM, anchored just outside the Syrian port of Baniyas.
- 24-APR-21 – Attack – Reporting indicates that a vessel was attacked approximately 272 NM S of Lagos, Nigeria. Vessel and crew reported to be safe and currently under escort.
- 25-APR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The French coast guard rescued 84 migrants on the Channel bound for Great Britain.
|Maritime Information Advisory: Notable maritime updates e.g., Military exercises, Curfews and Advisories
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as ladders or grappling hooks make contact with the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.