The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 14 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 25-31 Jan 2022.
The following incidents were recorded:
- 25-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 103 migrants were rescued off the coast of the Canary Islands.
- 25-JAN-22: General Security Warning – UKMTO issued a notice advising that live firing practice would be conducted on 27th January 2022 to the 29th January in the Red Sea.
- 25-JAN-22: Hijacking – MT was hijacked approximately 72nm SE of Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
- 25-JAN-22: Robbery – A bulk carrier was robbed at anchor in Guanta anchorage, Venezuela by two intruders.
- 25-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – Nearly 200 migrants made it to the UK on small boats.
- 25-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – Seven Bangladeshi migrants who were on a boat from Libya heading for the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa have died of hypothermia.
- 26-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 319 migrants were rescued off the coast of Lanzarote and Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- 26-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 18 migrants died while trying to reach Lanzarote from the Western Sahara (Morocco and Mauritania).
- 27-JAN-22: Migrant and Refugee Incident – 30 migrants were missing and are now presumed dead after a boat capsized off the coast of Tunisia.
- 27-JAN-22: Drugs Interdiction – Colombian port authorities seized 20,000 coconuts filled with liquid cocaine at the port of Cartagena, Colombia
- 28-JAN-22: General Security Warning – MDAT-GOG has been made aware that there is an increased threat of piracy.
- 29-JAN-22: General Security Warning – MDAT-GOG has been made aware that there is an increased threat of piracy.
- 29-JAN-22: Boarding – Two anchored crew boats were boarded in Luanda anchorage, Angola.
- 30-JAN-22: Drugs Interdiction – Anti-narcotics and Naval agencies captured a 23-foot-long boat southwest of San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic seizing 305 packages of cocaine.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|General Security Warning: Warnings/Incidents which do not fit in the other categories but enhance the situational awareness.|
|Hijacking: Unauthorized seizure and retention of a vessel by persons not part of its complement.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|