The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 15 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 30 November – 6 December 2020.
- 30-NOV-20 – Robbery – Whilst underway the bulk carrier SEMIRO was robbed approximately 24 nm E of Singapore. Engine spares reported stolen.
- 30-NOV-20 – Robbery – The general cargo vessel TANGO REY was robbed Conakry Anchorage, Guinea. Six armed intruders climbed on board the anchored vessel and stole crew’s belongings before making good their escape.
- 30-NOV-20 – Kidnapping – A passenger boat was boarded while underway between Port Harcourt and Bonny in Nigeria. The criminals robbed passengers and kidnapped two others. A passenger was also killed during the attack.
- 30-NOV-20 – Attack – A fishing vessel was attacked approximately 21 nm WSW of Douala, Cameroon. The onboard armed security team responded to the attack in which two armed guards and several attackers were injured.
- 01-DEC-20 – General Security Warning – Pakistan Navy will be conducting Live Fire exercises throughout December – paknavy.gov.pk/hydro
- 01-DEC-20 – Boarding – The port facility duty watch personnel of Freetown in Sierra Leone stopped one robber onboard a motor vessel (MV) and prevented another attempted boarding from a small boat using a rope.
- 02-DEC-20 – Suspicious Approach – An unnamed MT was approached by two speed boats 54 NM SW of Brass, Nigeria. Onboard security personnel fired warning shots before the boats left the vicinity.
- 03-DEC-20 – Attack – An unnamed MV was attacked by two speeds boats in 98 NM SW of Brass, Nigeria. The master carried out evasive manoeuvres, the vessel’s AST responded, and the boats left the vicinity.
- 04-DEC-20 – Attack – The tanker MINERVA EVROPI was approached by a white speedboat approximately 200NM SW of Brass, Nigeria in the Gulf of Guinea. The tanker was fired upon before raising the alarm and the pirates then aborted.
- 05-DEC-20 – Suspicious Approach – An MV reported being approached by multiple orange, red and yellow skiffs 51nm S of Port of Aden, Yemen. They followed the MV at 18-20 kts giving up once the MV showed it weapons.
- 05-DEC-20 – Attack – The MV HASAN reported being under attack by two small crafts 35 nm SSW of the Port of Nishtun, Yemen.
- 05-DEC-20 – Boarding – An MT was boarded whilst 220nm S of Lagos, Nigeria. The attackers have left the MT.
- 05-DEC-20 – Suspicious Approach – Two unauthorised persons attempted to board an anchored general cargo ship via the anchor chain whilst in Callao Anchorage, Peru.
- 06-DEC-20 – Boarding – A chemical tanker was boarded approximately 136nm SW of Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
- 06-DEC-20 – Kidnapping – A general cargo ship was attacked approximately 45 nm SSW of Brass, Nigeria. The pirates stole ship crew and properties and kidnapped five crew members before escaping.
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as a ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|