The Securewest Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded ten maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 6-12 January 2020.
- 02 Jan 20 – Kidnapping – Vessel boarded, security team members killed, and other crew kidnapped, 3nm from mouth of the Ramos river, Nigeria.
- 04 Jan 20 – Attack – JTF Houseboat attacked on the Opobo river, River states, Nigeria.
- 07 Jan 20 – Robbery – Offshore vessel robbed in Alang anchorage, India.
- 07 Jan 20 – Drugs Interdiction – 88 packages of cocaine seized by Ecuadorian Navy.
- 07 Jan 20 – Boarding – a Jack-up Rig was boarded by Extinction Rebellion on the river Tay, Dundee, Scotland.
- 08 Jan 20 – Boarding – a MT was boarded in the eastbound lane, 40nm east of Singapore Port.
- 09 Jan 20 – Migrant & Refugee – 119 migrants rescued in the Mediterranean off the coast of Libya and Malta.
- 11 Jan 20 – Migrant & Refugee – 11 migrants drowned off the coast of Turkey.
- 11 Jan 20 – Suspicious Approach – MV approached 45nm SSE of the Port of Aden, Yemen.
- 12 Jan 20 – Migrant & Refugee – 72 migrants rescued off the coast of Libya.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large amount of drugs are seized.|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|