Weekly Maritime Summary 8 – 14 February 2021
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded 14 maritime-related incidents during the reporting period of 8 – 14 February 2021.
- 08-FEB-21 – Robbery – MV was robbed in Pointe Noire anchorage. Three intruders were seen, one of them carrying a knife. One mooring rope was later discovered missing.
- 08-FEB-21 – Hijacking – The MV LIANPENGYU 819 has been hijacked 84 NM E of Port Gentil, Gabon. Vessel currently being escorted by a Gabonese Navy ship to Libreville.
- 08-FEB-21 – Approach – The MT SEAKING was approached by a small craft approximately 73 nm WSW of Port Gentil in Gabon. The boarding was not successful.
- 08-FEB-21 – Attack – An MV was attacked approximately 155 nm W of Port Gentil, Gabon. A speed boat with people onboard fired shots at the MV. The attack was abandoned after 45 minutes.
- 08-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Six migrants were detained by Border Force officers overnight after crossing the English Channel.
- 09-FEB-21 – Stowaway – The bulk carrier CHISE BULKER requested assistance off the Portland Coast in the English Channel. Seven Albanian stowaways were identified on board.
- 09-FEB-21– Boarding – Reports indicate that the MT MARIA E has been boarded 255 nm NW Port Gentil, Gabon. Pirates that boarded the MT have now left the vessel.
- 09-FEB-21 – Robbery – An underway barge being towed by a tugboat was boarded by two perpetrators from two small boats 15nm SW of Singapore Port. Upon a search of the barge, it was noted that some shackles had been stolen.
- 10-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Panama’s National Border Service assisted 23 Sudanese migrants across Chucunaque river after they had travelled 5 days across the Darien Gap from Bajo Chiquito village.
- 10-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – An Air Defence Exercise will be carried out from 10-16 FEB 2021 from 02:00 to 18:00 UTC. Centre point is 25 11 00 N, 066 45 00 E.
- 10-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – UKMTO issued a notice reporting that the Yemini coastguard is organising an increased number of patrols and VHF calls with merchant vessels in Bab El Mandeb.
- 11-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – S MARAD released MSCI Advisory 2021-003 Violence Due to Regional Conflict Geographic Area: Southern Mediterranean Sea near coastal Libya.
- 12-FEB-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The Tunisian Navy have reported that one migrant is confirmed dead with another 22 missing after their boat sank near the island of Lampedusa in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 12-FEB-21 – General Security Warning – Turkish officials indicated that all 15 Turkish sailors, who were abducted from the MV Mozart on 23 January, were safely released in Nigeria.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non-commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Suspicious Approach: An incident where weapons are trained on the vessel or pirate paraphernalia such as weapons, ladders, are observed and the intention to conduct an attack is clear.|
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as a ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
|Hijacking: Unauthorized seizure and retention of a vessel by persons not part of its complement.|
|Stowaway: A person who is secreted on a ship, or in cargo which is subsequently loaded on the ship, without the consent of the shipowner or the Master or any other responsible person and who is detected onboard the ship after it has departed from a port.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons, not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.