The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded five maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 8-14 June 2020.
- 09-JUN-20 – Robbery – A tanker was robbed at Conakry anchorage, Guinea by six armed men carrying knives and other weapons.
- 09-JUN-20 – Suspicious Approach – Container ship RIO CHARLESTON located approximately 95nm SW of Bayelsa was approached. Reporting indicates that a speed boat with 5 people on board attempted the boarding during her transit to Onne.
- 10-JUN-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – Four migrants tried to cross the English Channel on a makeshift raft made from two windsurfing boards, in addition three further vessels carrying a total of 40 migrants did manage to reach UK waters.
- 14-JUN-20 – Migrant and Refugee Incident – The French navy rescued 13 migrants from a boat with engine failure about 25 miles off Salines beach.
- 14-JUN-20 – General Security Warning – Maritime Domain Awareness for Trade – Gulf of Guinea (MDAT-GoG) received reports of increased possible piracy activity in the vicinity of the West coast of Africa from Guinea around the Gulf of Guinea to Gabon.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
We provide a wide range of Maritime Security and Intelligence services. For further details please contact +44 (0)1548 856 001 or email us.