Weekly Maritime Summary 9 – 15 November 2020
The Securewest International Global Response Centre (GRC) recorded seven maritime related incidents during the reporting period of 9 – 15 November 2020.
- 09-NOV-20 – Boarding – at 03:08 LT, whilst underway, the bulk carrier ATLANTIC DIANA was boarded in position 01 16 73 N, 104 18 02 E, approximately 25 nm E of Singapore.
- 09-NOV-20 – Robbery – at 02:20 LT, the underway bulk carrier LEFKADA was robbed in position 01 17 71 N, 104 20 02 E, approximately 27 nm E of Singapore.
- 09-NOV-20 – Approach – at 06:30 UTC, an underway MV was approached in position 04 26 03 N, 002 42 00 E, approximately 116 nm S of Cotonou, Benin.
- 09-NOV-20 – Attack – at 20:36 UTC, an unnamed MT was attacked by two skiffs in position 04 45 00 N, 002 26 00 E, 86 NM S of Cotonou, Benin.
- 10-NOV-20 – Migrant and Refugee – The UK Home Office advised that 6 vessels carrying 159 migrants were recovered by UK authorities.
- 11-NOV-20 – General Security Warning – notice received via UKMTO that the Iranian Military will be conducting exercises, with live firings, in the Persian Gulf, East of Larak, between 13:30 and 20:30 UTC. These exercises are expected to take place on 11 and 12 November.
- 11-NOV-20 – Suspicious Approach – at 21:00 UTC, chemical tanker VALLEY OAK was suspiciously approached in position 03 01 08 N, 002 42 00 E 198nm S of Cotonou, Benin.
- 11-NOV-20 – Attack – at 01:19 UTC, an unnamed MT was attacked by a skiff, with an unknown number of armed POB in position 05 12 N, 002 25E, 70 NM SE of Cotonou, Benin.
- 12-NOV-20 – Approach – at 05:08 UTC, a motor vessel reported observing a concentration of fishing vessels in position 12 09 24 N, 045 41 18 E, in the Gulf of Aden, 63NM SE of Aden.
- 13-NOV-20 – Kidnapping – at 16:00 UTC, reports indicate that the heavy load carrier ZHEN HUA was been boarded while drifting in position 01 10 45 N, 005 32 52 E, approximately 78NM NW of Sao Tome in the Gulf of Guinea.
- 13-NOV-20 – Robbery – at 02:12, an anchored container ship was boarded and robbed of ships stores in position 04 53 02 N, 001 42 06 W, in Takoradi Port Anchorage, off Ghana.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
|Approach: An incident where weapons are trained on the vessel or pirate paraphernalia such as weapons, ladders, are observed and the intention to conduct an attack is clear.
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.
|Attack: An incident where weapons are discharged by pirates or pirate paraphernalia such as a ladder, grappling hook, make contact with the vessel.|
|Kidnapping: Unauthorized forcible removal of persons belonging to the vessel from it.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.